Sunday, July 14, 2013

As American As...

You thought I was going to say apple pie, didn't you.

DIDN'T YOU!?

Well, I'm not.

Hope you all had a fabulous Independence Day last week.  As you can tell, I'm a little behind on blogging. But, that's to be expected with adjusting to life with Ry Guy.  He's not a fan of sleeping.  Or eating.

I, however, am a huge fan (read GROUPIE) of both eating and sleeping.

Sad to say, not doing much of either.

Our 4th of July was spent lazing around the house tag teaming who was handling baby stuff and cat napping.  Around 3 in the afternoon, I got around to making our celebratory dinner:  Hot Dogs, Potato Salad, and Carob Peanut cookies a la mode (working on perfecting that recipe and will share it at some point - stay tuned!). Oh yes, and Lemonade.  Can't forget that.

Which brings me to the purpose of this post:  as American as... Potato Salad.


What's a cookout or BBQ without this quintessential side dish?  Not much, I assure you. Everyone has their own version of this standby and I'm no exception.  This is different than the potato salad I posted about earlier this spring, in that it's more of a classic recipe that you'd expect to find at a supermarket deli, except better for you and more flavorful.

Of course, you could adapt this to suit your own personal tastes...

Don't like mayo? Sub in light sour cream.  Don't do eggs? Skip them.  Easy as that.

But, if you can, I would encourage you to stick to the recipe below. It's just that good.  (If you need nutrition facts, pop over to my recipage, here.)

In the mean time, enjoy your summer.  And excuse my sleep deprived, lacking in creativity food photography and blog posts for the time being. I keep telling myself that life will return to a somewhat normal pattern, eventually. Until then, I'm going back to bed and hoping for the best...


American Potato Salad

by Raye
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: stove top salad side potato egg July 4th cookout American summer

Ingredients (10 servings)
  • 3 lbs russet or Idaho potatoes
  • 2 large hard boiled eggs
  • 3 celery stalks
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 1/4 c. olive oil mayo
  • 1/4 c. plain Greek-style yogurt
  • 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • Pepper, to taste
Instructions
  • Peel, dice and boil the potatoes until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and cool.
  • Toss drained potatoes with apple cider vinegar. Chop hard boiled egg, onion and celery; add to potatoes.
  • In a separate bowl, stir together mayo, yogurt, mustard, salt and pepper. Gently stir dressing mixture into potato mixture.
  • Chill until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...