I love me a good cupcake! What I don't love is cupcake remorse. You know, that "Crud.... how many minutes of cardio do I have to do to work that off?" kind of remorse.
What's a cupcake loving, cardio loathing girl to do? Work smarter, not harder.
Ok, so I'll be the first to admit, this recipe is not calorie free, fat free, sugar free or taste free. Or anything free for that matter. You will probably still need to do cardio to burn it off.
BUT, it's a healthier, more "real food" alternative if you're looking for a sweet treat. And man alive, does it deliver!
The recipe below is for just the cupcake part. You can frost it with your personal fave. I am in love with German Buttercream (shown here), so if you'd like to give that a try, pop over to my recipage to get the scoop on my Cinnamon Brown Sugar German Buttercream.
I also decided to go all fancy-schmancy and garnish these puppies with some cinnamon sugared pecans. Pretty easy. I tweaked this recipe here for those. (Just did the topping, swapped coconut oil for butter.) Impressive taste and presentation for practically no work. Gotta love that.
Don't you just want to dive in?
Cupcake remorse optional.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 22-25 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert pumpkin cupcake fall winter
Ingredients (15 cupcakes)
- 3/4 c. cake flour (or all purpose flour)
- 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 c. pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 c. organic whole cane sugar, sucanat or free flowing brown sugar
- 3/4 c. coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line standard muffin cups with paper liners or grease well.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In a large bowl, cream together coconut oil (in solid state) and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients alternately with the pumpkin, beginning and ending with the pumpkin.
- Divide batter equally between muffin cups, filling each cup approximately 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from the pan immediately and cool on a wire rack.
- Cool completely before icing. Store unfrosted cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Powered by Recipage