Monday, June 1, 2015

Well, That's Just Dippy

It's that time of year... heat, humidity, summer, and cookouts out the whah-zoo. I think everyone must have a "go-to" cookout recipe. For you, that may be a killer marinade or burger seasoning blend. Or, an easy side salad or sweet dessert to share. You know, that one thing that instantly pops in your head when you hear "cookout".


While I have some yummy side salads in my repertoire, my cookout staple is the veggie tray. That's crudité for all you foodies out there. Growing up, if I would have said "crudité", people would have looked at me like I had 3 heads and just stepped off the Mother Ship. "Croo-dee-what?" Sigh.  So I just save the gourmet for an appreciative audience.

Anyway, the humble veggie tray comes in a whole bunch of forms, using all manner of raw veggies from carrots to celery to bell pepper to broccoli to cucumber.  When you make the veggie tray yourself, you can arrange any type of raw veggie that sounds "dippable" to you (That's a real word. True story.)  Just make sure they're in bite size pieces and you're golden.


Now that we've discussed the finer points of veggie selection, let's move on to the fun part - the dip. You can definitely do Ranch dip (always a winner), but my personal favorite is this Creamy Yogurt Dill Dip recipe.  It's zesty, creamy, herbaceous, and delicious.  And, the bowl is always scraped clean when I serve it at gatherings, so I take that as a good sign.


P.S. If you are a fan of sour cream and onion chips, you might like this dip with a nice crunchy, salty, kettle cooked plain potato chip.  It's pretty fantastic, I might add.  But me? I'm a veggie lovah at heart. Bring on the "croo-dee-what's" and let's get our cookout on.

Ok, COOKOUT. What dish just popped into your head?

Creamy Yogurt Dill Dip
by Raye
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: no-cook appetizer condiment side egg-free gaps nut-free vegetarian peanut-free sugar-free soy-free July 4th cookout summer
Ingredients (2 cups dip)
  • 1 cup plain, Greek style yogurt
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp snipped fresh dill (or 2 tsp dried dill)
  • 1 tsp granulated onion (or 1/2 tsp onion powder)
  • 1 tsp granulated garlic (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
Instructions
Combine ingredients. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
Store any leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Powered by Recipage

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delish, honey. Hope everything for Ry's party goes well. We'll talk soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...