Monday, July 16, 2012

Pancake Breakfast Sandwiches

The Hubby is obsessed with anything related to pancakes...I may have mentioned that previously.  But, he also enjoys breakfast sandwiches.  I've been experimenting with making them at home... he's never been a huge fan of the pancake version, and up 'til now has stayed loyal to the biscuit and sausage variety.   I, however, am not a huge fan of sausage... and marriage was made for compromise, right? So, compromise we did.  He gets breakfast sandwiches. It involves meat, eggs and cheese. And pancakes - and they're WAY better than the "maple flavored" store bought kind.

A couple of reasons I prefer pancake sandwiches over breakfast biscuits.



1. They're flatter.  Weird, I know, but it makes me happy when things stack easily.  Deal with it.  
2. They're portable.


Still not convinced?  Feast your eyes on this! I wish this post could capture the smell.


To freeze, I recommend freezing the pancakes separately on a cookie sheet for about an hour, then assembling the sandwich without the cheese.  Either wrap each sandwich individually for storage, or stack them in a zip-top bag.


You can fit about 8 sandwiches in a gallon-size freezer bag.

There are a few ways to reheat these:
  1. wrap frozen sandwich in foil and warm in a toaster oven on high heat for about 25 minutes.  
  2. Or, you could microwave it for about 3 minutes, but I find it tends to make the eggs sort of rubbery.
  3. Or, you could thaw the sandwich overnight in the fridge, the warm it in the toaster oven for about 15 minutes on high heat.
  4. Last but not least - add a slice of cheese during the 2-3 minutes of reheating in the toaster oven (or last 30 seconds if using the microwaves.
Personally,  I prefer the thaw overnight/reheat in the toaster oven method.  Of course, they're best fresh!
    Ready to make yours?  Check out the recipe on my recipage here.  Comment below if you've got cooking/reheating question, or a favorite breakfast sandwich variation.

    2 comments:

    1. You're a genius! You know I do biscuit sandwiches almost every day for K, this is a great alternative. (So it's not always the same old, same old.) BTW, I make his egg and cheese portion fresh each day, and it only takes a few minutes. I posted a link a few weeks ago if you're interested.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Pancake lovers, unite! :-) The eggs are def better fresh, I agree. I'll pop over to your blog and check out that link. Thanks chica!

        Delete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...