Once upon a time, Mr. Banana met Miss Blueberry. They decided they would be far better together than apart, so they decided to get married and live happily ever after. And so they did.
How's that for a love story?
Ok, for real, blueberries and bananas are amazing together. I had a hankering for a different kind of banana bread, a few overripe bananas willing to sacrifice themselves on the altar of recipe experimentation, and a whole bunch of freshly picked Maine blueberries, courtesy of my dad.
It was serendipity.
The happy ending was a successful loaf of moist, sweet, quick bread with just a little bit of crunch in the topping.
That makes me a very satisfied matchmaker...
(Nutrition facts on recipage, here.)
Banana Blueberry Crumb Loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45-55 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast bread snack vegetarian banana blueberry summer
Ingredients (12 servings)
- 1 c. white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 3/4 c. evaporated cane juice (or sugar)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 c. coconut oil, melted
- 1 c. fresh blueberries (or 1 c. frozen, thawed and drained)
- additional 1-2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp quick oats (or 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 c. Turbinado sugar (gives a nice crunch, but feel free to sub in brown sugar instead)
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan, or line with parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar and coconut oil; stir in lightly beaten egg and pureed banana.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together white whole wheat flour and 1/2 c. all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Gently stir together the sugar mixture and the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, toss an additional 1-2 Tbsp all purpose flour with the 1 c. blueberries, to coat. This will help prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the loaf while baking. Fold into the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan; smooth the top.
- In a small bowl, mix together topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of the loaf.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack until pan is cool enough to handle; remove bread from the pan and cool completely on the rack.
- Slice and serve; store in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 days.
Powered by Recipage