Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Walnut Oat Pie Crust Recipe (Gluten-Free!)


Planning to cook for a gluten-free somebody this holiday season? I don't know about you, but I love me a good pie. Bummer for those who can't have the gluten in the pie crust (or the filling)...it makes baking a little trickier.

Here's a solution: Walnut Oat Pie Crust.

It's really simple to throw together and really reminds me of a graham cracker crust, both in texture and taste.  It's definitely less sweet than a traditional graham cracker crust and actually, kind of tastes like a granola bar...now that I think about it...

Anyway, I made a version of this crust last year for my gluten-free chocolate cream pie. It didn't make it to the blog only because the filling wasn't really enough to fill the 9.5" crust and it just looked weird.  Tasted amazing though. [Side note: when I'm able to eat chocolate again, you better believe I'm digging that recipe back out. And of course, I'll share.  The recipe, not the pie. Well, maybe the pie. If you're really nice to me.]

Back to the present. This year, I adapted Ashley's original recipe and I love how it turned out!!! Even if you're not going gluten free, I encourage you to give this recipe a try; it's really good. And, of course, if you do, I'd love to hear all about how you used this recipe.

A couple of things before I get to the recipe... This is the texture you're going for:


And this is the moisture level you're looking for:


Have fun filling this crust! If it makes it to the pan at all... I was seriously tempted to just eat it as is. :-)

P.S. Check out what's filling my crust this year!

Walnut Oat Pie Crust
by Raye
Prep Time: 7 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert gluten-free soy-free refined sugar free oatmeal nuts pie

Ingredients (1 (9 inch deep dish) crust)
  • 2 c. certified gluten free oats
  • 1 c. walnut pieces
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 2 Tbsp milk (dairy or non-dairy, your choice)
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350*F.
  • In a food processor, combine oats and walnuts. Pulse for about 30 seconds, until mixture resembles coarse sand.
  • Drizzle honey and melted coconut oil over the oat/walnut mixture. Sprinkle salt and cinnamon over the top. Pulse for an additional 15 seconds, then stream in the milk while you continue to pulse for another 15-20 seconds. Mixture should hold together when pinched between two fingers. If necessary, stream in more milk, 1 Tbsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.
  • Press crust mixture into a 9-inch deep dish (or 9.5 x 2 inch) pie plate. (or, if filling with cheesecake, press into the bottom only of a 10-inch springform pan).
  • Bake at 350*F for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool completely before filling. I recommend filling the pie crust the same day it's baked, in order to retain the slightly crunchy texture. It has a tendency to get a little soft if left unused overnight.
  • Note: Nutrition facts shown are for the entire pie crust. Divide by number servings.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...