Thursday, January 31, 2013

30 Before 30 Update: January 2013 Edition

Here's a look at the progress I made this month.

I was able to read 1 educational book and 1 fun book this month.  My choices were:

1. Super Nutrition for Babies by Katherine Erlich, M.D., Kelly Genzlinger C.N.C., C.M.T.A, and David Brownstein, M.D.

I really enjoyed reading this book.  It is bursting with valuable information.  The thing I appreciated the most is that the authors take pretty hefty scientific info and break it down, explaining concepts in a way that makes sense to hormone-crazed prego mamas (like me).

It's nice to know that there are medical professionals out there that care strongly about preventing disease, not just treating it after it happens.  One of the main thrusts of Super Nutrition for Babies is that it is entirely possible to avoid many chronic childhood conditions (obesity, diabetes, autism, eczema, food allergies, just to name a few) by simply feeding your child the most nourishing diet.  And then the authors go so far as to tell you where to find the foods they mention, as well as include recipes and timelines of when and how to prepare the nourishing food.  This is definitely a book I will hang on to and reference again and again.  I highly recommend it.

2.  Chronicles of Avonlea, by L. M. Montgomery.

I bought this book at the Anne of Green Gables bookstore in P.E.I., the one run by L. M. Montgomery's family.  I've read most of Montgomery's books over the years, but not this one, or its sequel, Further Chronicles of Avonlea (which will be my fun book for next month).

I enjoyed reading this collection of short stories.  Montgomery's writing style includes plenty of "scope for the imagination".  I found myself getting attached to several of the characters along the way.  The stories are snapshots of the lives of Anne's contemporaries, living in either Avonlea or nearby White Sands or Carmody.  The collection of short stories weaves together grief, bitterness, deceit, redemption, generosity, heartache, love, marriage, and plenty of humor.

This is a timeless classic for sure.  Again, I highly recommend.  The short stories are perfect for picking up when you have only a few minutes; most of the chapters take 5-10 minutes at the most to read. 

Also, I have decided to do a baby quilt and have pinned several ideas on my Pinterest Sewing board.  Now comes the big decisions.... what colors and which pattern to go with?  Much of that decision will depend on if we find out the baby's gender... I'll keep you posted.

If you have recommendations for devotional books, please comment below. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...