Thursday, January 31, 2013

Tuna Nachos

You're probably thinking I'm nuts... TUNA?  On NACHOS?  WHATTTTT???????  Or at least, that's what M was thinking when I recently made this delectable-ness.  Tuna Hater.


I am a HUGE nachos fan. Bummer that I can't have them much anymore (no fake cheese for this chica), unless I make them at home.  I started making this conglomeration of tuna, cheese and veggies shortly after I graduated from college.  Amazing how much you can do with a toaster oven...



I was in my first apartment, working my first job, living large on the cheap... you know how it is... Anyway, I wanted a tuna melt one day and didn't have any bread. But, I had a box of wheat crackers in my pantry.  Problem solved.  So Tuna Nachos were created.

Yum.



You can use whatever crackers you want... pita chips would be good too.  This time around, I used about 20 of these homemade wheat crackers as the base and topped the whole thing with some colby cheese.  You could use any kind of cheese you like.  I've successfully used cheddar, Monterrey-Jack, mozzarella, and provolone as well.

Check out this cheesy-ness!


And check out the recipe below.  If you need nutrition facts, pop over to my recipage, here.

Tuna Nachos
by Raye
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients (1 serving)
  • 1 (5 oz) can chunk light tuna in water (or a 2.5 oz pouch and skip the draining step)
  • 1 Tbsp plain yogurt
  • 1-1/2 to 2 Tbsp sour cream
  • 1 tsp prepared Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 green onion, chopped (both green and white parts)
  • 1 Roma tomato, chopped
  • 2 oz cheese, shredded (such as colby or mild cheddar)
  • 1 to 2 servings small, crispy wheat crackers (approximately 20 crackers, depending on the size of the cracker and your appetite)
Instructions
Drain the tuna and transfer to a small mixing bowl. Add yogurt, sour cream, mustard, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Stir with a fork to combine. Add half the chopped green onion and stir until combined. The tuna mixture should be wet and somewhat creamy, but not soupy (too much sour cream will make the crackers soggy).
Line a small (toaster oven size) baking sheet with parchment paper. (I prefer to line my baking sheet with parchment paper to make transferring the finished nachos to a plate easier. ) Arrange the crackers in a relatively even layer.
Evenly distribute the tuna mixture on top of the crackers. I find that taking small forkfuls and dotting them around the crackers works well. Sprinkle chopped tomato and the remaining green onion on top of the tuna.
Last, top the nachos with cheese. Pop the baking sheet into a toaster oven and broil for about 5 minutes. Remove to serving plate and enjoy immediately.
Note, the nutrition facts were calculated without the crackers, as crackers can vary widely in nutritional content and calories.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...