Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Banana Bread Love


Banana bread is my comfort food... the aroma takes me back to childhood and simpler times.  It reminds me of good times laughing around a table with loved ones.  It reminds me of all the times my family showed love to a friend or neighbor by sharing a mini loaf of home baked banana bread goodness.

Banana bread was my first successful baking venture.  I won't go into the disaster cookies I baked previous to that first banana bread experience... who knew eggs were important?  Thank goodness for an almost 10-year old brother who would eat pretty much anything... I digress...


This is an adaptation of the classic banana bread recipe that my family has used since I was in preschool.  I didn't change much, just gave it a healthier upgrade.  Get the scoop on my recipage here.

What better way to celebrate the day of love than to serve my Hubby a lovey breakfast... he loves the banana bread baked into muffins, split open and smeared with peanut butter.  And boy, does he love his peanut butter!  Add a glass of fresh milk to the side and he's VERY happy.

I love my banana bread in just about any form... large loaves, mini loaves, muffins... eaten warm, cold, with butter, with peanut butter, plain... or like my Memere used to make it - with chocolate chips!  You get the picture...I'm not picky about it.

Do you have a specific food item you're sharing with loved ones?  If so, I'd love to hear about it!

In the mean time, happy LOVE day.  Share some love with those around you, spouse, friend, co-worker, grocery store cashier... "Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another." - 1 John 4:11

Valentine's Day is not about having a "date" or being in a romantic relationship, it's about loving others.  Happy V-day everyone! Now, go spread some love!
Banana Bread
by Raye
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes for loaves, 25 minu
Keywords: bake bread breakfast snack banana

Ingredients (2 mini loaves or 12 muffins)
  • 1/3 c. unrefined coconut oil (or 1/2 c. butter)
  • 3/4 c. sucanat or evaporated cane juice
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 small bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 c. white whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 c. all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • dash salt
  • 1 c. chocolate chips or chopped walnuts, optional
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Lightly grease 2 mini loaf pans or 12 muffin cups. Set aside.
  2. Cream together coconut oil (or butter) and sucanat. Lightly beat eggs into the creamed mixture.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda and salt. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the mashed bananas, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
  4. Mix well. Stir in walnuts or chocolate chips, if using. Divide batter equally between loaf pans or muffin cups.
  5. Bake 50 minutes for mini loaves or 25 minutes for muffins, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  6. Remove loaves or muffins from pans and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container or bag. Best if eaten within 3 days, but should last up to a week at room temperature.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...